Airai Header Palau Home Babeldaub Island Pacific Worlds Home



The Sea

The Land





Village  |  Houses  |  Bairairrai  |  Kombas  |  Yapese Quarry  |  Language  |  Sources & Links
Sources & Links




Engbring, John (1988) Field Guide to the Birds of Palau. Koror: Conservation Office and Bureau of Education.

Gumerman, George J., David Snyder & W. Bruce Masse (no date) "An Archaeological Reconnaissance in the Palau Archipelago, Western Caroline Islands, Micronesia" Center for Archaeological Investigations Research Paper No. 23. Carbondale, Illinois: Southern Illinois University.

Kramer, Augustine (1917-1926) "Ergebnisse der Sudsee Expedition, 1908-1910," Volumes 1-5/Palau.

Olsudong, Rita et al. (1997) "Inventory of Cultural Sites and Oral History in Melekeok and Airai States" Division of Cultural Affairs, Historic Preservation Office, Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs, Republic of Belau. December, 1997.

Rechebei, Elizabeth & Samuel McPhetres (1997) History of Palau. Ministry of Education, Republic of Palau.

Telmetang, Marciana et al. (1993) "Bai" Imuul Series No. 1. Koror: Belau National Museum.


Historical photograph of the three bai in Airai is taken from Kramer (above).

Historical photograph of the Ewa medal (four-door house) is courtesy of the Belau National Museum.

Except where stated otherwise, all photographs by RDK Herman, Pacific Worlds.


Scott Fitzpatrick's website on Archaeology in Palau covers his research of Yapese quarries in Airai. Be sure to check out all the different pages:

The Palau National Communications Corporation website includes a story of the Yapese quarries:



 Village  |  Houses  |  Bairairrai  |  Kombas  |  Yapese Quarry  |  Language  |  Sources & Links
Arrival |  A Native Place |  The Sea |  The Land |  Footprints |  Visitors |  Memories |  Onwards
Airai Home  |  Map Library |  Site Map |  Pacific Worlds Home